Old 26-01-2004, 04:42 AM
madgardener

Default fall and winter blooming crocus

"Dread Rhubarb" wrote in message
Should these be planted in spring, summer or fall? I have not bought
any yet and I notice that the bulb sites I have visited do not have
any listed for spring sales, but I had assumed that since they are
fall blooming they would be planted in spring. I want to buy some
when they are available, but also a friend offered to give me a few of
hers and I want to know when the best time to dig up a few of those
would be.

spring crocus are offered at the end of summer for fall planting. Colchicums
are offered mid summer, but I could be wrong. I know you have to get them
and plant them immediately because they are bad about blooming right off the
bulb. I still would love to have about 20 colchicums for various areas
under choice blooming shrubs.
madgardener hoping this helps a little bit (try Dutch Gardens for spring
crocus when they're available)