Old 26-01-2004, 12:32 AM
Dread Rhubarb

Default fall and winter blooming crocus

Should these be planted in spring, summer or fall? I have not bought
any yet and I notice that the bulb sites I have visited do not have
any listed for spring sales, but I had assumed that since they are
fall blooming they would be planted in spring. I want to buy some
when they are available, but also a friend offered to give me a few of
hers and I want to know when the best time to dig up a few of those
would be.
Old 26-01-2004, 04:42 AM
madgardener

"Dread Rhubarb" wrote in message
Should these be planted in spring, summer or fall? I have not bought
any yet and I notice that the bulb sites I have visited do not have
any listed for spring sales, but I had assumed that since they are
fall blooming they would be planted in spring. I want to buy some
when they are available, but also a friend offered to give me a few of
hers and I want to know when the best time to dig up a few of those
would be.

spring crocus are offered at the end of summer for fall planting. Colchicums
are offered mid summer, but I could be wrong. I know you have to get them
and plant them immediately because they are bad about blooming right off the
bulb. I still would love to have about 20 colchicums for various areas
under choice blooming shrubs.
madgardener hoping this helps a little bit (try Dutch Gardens for spring
crocus when they're available)

Old 26-01-2004, 06:02 PM
paghat

In article , Rhubarb wrote:

Should these be planted in spring, summer or fall? I have not bought
any yet and I notice that the bulb sites I have visited do not have
any listed for spring sales, but I had assumed that since they are
fall blooming they would be planted in spring. I want to buy some
when they are available, but also a friend offered to give me a few of
hers and I want to know when the best time to dig up a few of those
would be.

Because of the customer expectation that autumn is the time to plant most
bulbs, even the autumn crocus are prepared for sales at that time. So the
best time to plant them is almost a moot point since they're sold mostly
in autumn so have to be planted in autumn. Whether you mean Colchicums or
autumn-blooming true crocuses like saffron crocus or Crocus speciosum,
they would very likely be most happy to be gotten into the ground between
July & August; but if you can get them in the ground in early September
(when they're more apt to go on sale) they'll still bloom that very first
autumn (here in the Northwest anyway), but bloom even better for autumns
thereafter. If you get them in the ground as late as November it'll do
them no harm, though they'll be well sprouted & will need a delicate touch
to get them in the ground, & may not bloom much if at all until the
following autumn. In zones further south, heat-tolerant bulbs like autumn
crocus & freesia should probably be planted March & April, but again, the
mass marketing won't be until the end of summer, & fortunately they're
forgiving of being planted at that time.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 26-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Janice

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:25:14 -0600, Dread Rhubarb
wrote:

Should these be planted in spring, summer or fall? I have not bought
any yet and I notice that the bulb sites I have visited do not have
any listed for spring sales, but I had assumed that since they are
fall blooming they would be planted in spring. I want to buy some
when they are available, but also a friend offered to give me a few of
hers and I want to know when the best time to dig up a few of those
would be.

Colchicums, which bloom in fall aren't really crocus, and are
poisonous, are often sold as being amazing because you can just leave
them on a windowsill, naked, and they'll bloom! Of course they're not
cheap, so it's better to plant them. ;-)

There are the true fall blooming crocus that are the source of the
"spice" Saffron, and I've seen them offered for sale in various bulb
catalogs at the same time as regular crocus, but I don't know that
they are shipped at the regular times. It's the anthers/stamens ..
pollen bearing organs, that are dried and are the "most expensive
spice in the world" . I had some but I think they ended up having a
whiskey barrel planter placed over the spot they were growing..

You could just do a search for fall crocus or saffron crocus, and see
what comes up.