Old 26-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Janice

Default fall and winter blooming crocus

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:25:14 -0600, Dread Rhubarb
wrote:

Should these be planted in spring, summer or fall? I have not bought
any yet and I notice that the bulb sites I have visited do not have
any listed for spring sales, but I had assumed that since they are
fall blooming they would be planted in spring. I want to buy some
when they are available, but also a friend offered to give me a few of
hers and I want to know when the best time to dig up a few of those
would be.

Colchicums, which bloom in fall aren't really crocus, and are
poisonous, are often sold as being amazing because you can just leave
them on a windowsill, naked, and they'll bloom! Of course they're not
cheap, so it's better to plant them. ;-)

There are the true fall blooming crocus that are the source of the
"spice" Saffron, and I've seen them offered for sale in various bulb
catalogs at the same time as regular crocus, but I don't know that
they are shipped at the regular times. It's the anthers/stamens ..
pollen bearing organs, that are dried and are the "most expensive
spice in the world" . I had some but I think they ended up having a
whiskey barrel planter placed over the spot they were growing..

You could just do a search for fall crocus or saffron crocus, and see
what comes up.