Old 26-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Preserving driftwood for outdoor display stands

In a message dated 1/25/2004 11:00:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

Can driftwood be preserved for use in the garden as stands for bonsai? I'm
hoping for a suggestion that retains the gray color of the
wood.

Chris:

The answer is yes. I started using Minwax Wood Hardener 15 years ago, and the results have been extremely encouraging to date.

You will need to apply the hardener every year or so, but the results are well worth the effort if the driftwood is precious to you.

Apply 2-3 coats during the first treatment and then one coat during applications over the years. If you are standing the piece up in the ground, apply a Marine epoxy, such as West Systems, to create a non-absorbent heel. THis will prevent the wicking of w
ater and the resultant decay.

Cordially,

Michael

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++