Old 26-01-2004, 04:32 AM
Chris Cochrane

Default [IBC] Preserving driftwood for outdoor display stands

Can driftwood be preserved for use in the garden as stands for bonsai? I'm
hoping for a suggestion that retains the gray color of the wood.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Alan Walker

Chris: Anything wood will deteriorate relatively quickly when used for
outdoor bonsai display. We subject bonsai display stands to heat, cold,
wet, dry. Those are poor conditions for wood preservation.
You will hear about several preservatives like GitRot, Minwax
Wood Hardener, etc. which will slow the process down, but, like
everything else in life, these too shall pass. ;-)
My recommendation is to enjoy it as long as you can and keep an
eye out for even better pieces for replacement.
Alan Walker