Old 27-01-2004, 05:57 AM
MartyWeiser

Default [IBC] Japanese black pine

Cam,

It sounds like you are experiencing some form of damp off - generally a
fungal attack of the soft stem at ground level. This is most likely if they
fall over. Solutions include using a very well draining soil (some use
straight sand) and making sure that they do not stay over wet. There are
also fungicides that can be used for damp off, but I have not found them
necessary.

I normally plant pine seed in flats with well draining soil (2/3 fine lava
(sand works) and 1/3 fine bark) outside for the winter with screen or
something on top to keep the critters out. Better than 50% germination is
common and I only lose a few in the spring - most often to forgetting to
water on the first hot day or so.

Marty