Old 27-01-2004, 03:32 PM

Default Recommendations for Climbers

I am looking for climbing roses for a Northwest exposure in Zone 7
(Missouri to be more specific). We are planning a trellis against a 2
story stone house. The sun will be rough during the summer, but are
hoping for something that will survive and grow to help shade the
house in a few years. Ivy is too intrusive for the mortar and doesn't
bloom.

Obviously I want the "perfect" rose. Hardy, repeat blooms, tall
growth, disease resistant. Does such a plant exist, or am I being
unnecessarily optimistic.

Currently the temperature is 7 F. Winter maintenance would probably
be restricted to pruning and mulching. Summer temps get over 100 F.
The first couple of years, until it is established, we can protect it
from the direct sun, but it will still get reflection and residual
heat from the house.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We would prefer pink, white,
possibly red. Most catalogs offer suggestions and I've researched
some in your group. How important is own root as opposed to grafted,
and how does a person find out from a grower?, etc.

To add a note of humor, I don't want much, I want it all.

Nancy G.