Old 28-01-2004, 01:35 AM

Default Recommendations for Climbers

"Theo" wrote in message ws.com...
Hi Nancy,

I grow roses up here in Kansas City.
Where ats are you?

Warsaw. Just moved here from Alabama, so I probably mesed up on the
zone. The weather here is a little milder than Kansas City. What do
you grow with reasonable expectations of success?

Yes such roses exist.
In my experience own root is vital.

A north west exposure is probably not ideal as
rose need as much sun as they can get 4-6 hours min.
Most recomendationsare for a south east exposure
or the exact opposite of your situation.

On the other hand a fairly exposed north west exposure
might provide enough light. It up to you to judge. Roses in low light
conditions grow much slower and are more disease prone.

I know, but we have trees are on the south east. The only shade the
roses would have in the location I have in mind would be from the
house during the morning. Afternoon is full sun. Would be a harsh
transition in temperature and light during that time of day. They
would also be exposed to prevailing winds year round, hot and cold.

The absolute first choice should be New Dawn a pink favorite.
Cecile brunner climbing another pink could be a backup.

I was planning on a recommendation for the coldest zone I could get.
Probably got the zone wrong as I said, but even in Northern Alabama it
would get cold enough to do damage, especially if the temperature drop
came off a mild spell. You had to watch for breaks in dormancy there,
but there was significant chilling.

For other colors checkout the vast range of Noisette roses.
They should be hardy enough for Zone 7. They are slightly more
disease prone but their vigor more than compensates.

I know of few reds that satisfy your requirements.
Lavender lassie is lavender and Dublin bay
is not very robust on its own roots and is not tall.

Altissimo is a large single incredible rose. It often gets
passed over cos its single but it satifies all your criteria to a 'T'.

--
Theo

in KC Z5

Thank you,