Old 28-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Sacha

Default Bamboo Feature?

John28/1/04 6:25

With tremendous regret I am starting to give up gardening -Too old! -

snip
However, I'd like to introduce a "feature" made from the large bamboo
(poles) trunks readily available in the garden centres.

I don't think a bamcoo fence all round would be suitable, and cannot
for the life of me think of an irregular shaped bamboo feature which
would fit the bill. An arbour just wouldn't look right and would
probably be too large anyway.

I'd be obliged for any ideas that you may have on the subject.

How about a sort of stonehenge of bamboo of varying heights, with some large
and small stones or even rocks around it/them - no need to stop at one
henge, after all. Place a simple seat here and there - wooden plank on
bricks sort of style.
Maybe pave or gravel the lot and do pocket planting or bubble fountains -
use pots but be aware of lots of watering in summer.
Would a large pond with moving water and appropriate plants or fish be
possible?
I think your idea of trying to involve and please your neighbours is
terrific - but just remember they're probably not going to be doing your
garden for you. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk