Old 28-01-2004, 06:36 PM
John

Default Bamboo Feature?

With tremendous regret I am starting to give up gardening -Too old! -
All round the bungalow I commenced widening the paths, thereby
reducing the size of beds, and have now reached a stage where
the large front garden has been turned over to "tropical looking"
shrubs and trees. I live in a small Close where my garden is the only
level one on site, the others all steeply sloping towards the houses.
Because of this, my garden is enjoyed by all my neighbours with the
attendant responsibility upon myself. I discussed what I intended and
received plenty of friendly advice, so the oasis garden makes
everyone reasonably happy.

However, I'd like to introduce a "feature" made from the large bamboo
(poles) trunks readily available in the garden centres.

I don't think a bamcoo fence all round would be suitable, and cannot
for the life of me think of an irregular shaped bamboo feature which
would fit the bill. An arbour just wouldn't look right and would
probably be too large anyway.

I'd be obliged for any ideas that you may have on the subject.
Old 29-01-2004, 12:49 AM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from John contains these words:

However, I'd like to introduce a "feature" made from the large bamboo
(poles) trunks readily available in the garden centres.

I don't think a bamcoo fence all round would be suitable, and cannot
for the life of me think of an irregular shaped bamboo feature which
would fit the bill. An arbour just wouldn't look right and would
probably be too large anyway.

I'd be obliged for any ideas that you may have on the subject.

I've seen something in a friend's garden..it's rather Japanese, not
bamboo but would adapt to it.
What she has is two uprights about 1.5 m high and 2m apart. Across the
top is a horizontal which extends 30 cm either side of the supports.
There's a shallow trellis with an arch on the bottom , fixed at eye
level below the horizontal. Under the arch is vacant space. She hangs
birdfeeders and windchimes on it. (Measurements are approximate...you'd
need to play around on paper to get the proportions right).

Janet

Old 29-01-2004, 04:42 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 18:25:57 +0000, John wrote:

However, I'd like to introduce a "feature" made from the large bamboo
(poles) trunks readily available in the garden centres.

I don't think a bamcoo fence all round would be suitable, and cannot
for the life of me think of an irregular shaped bamboo feature which
would fit the bill. An arbour just wouldn't look right and would
probably be too large anyway.

I'd be obliged for any ideas that you may have on the subject.

The Japanese have a garden feature called a "sleeve" fence --
just a short length of fence protruding from a wall, say, to hide
a view or some unsightliness. You might want to put in a small
one, thereby not only satisfying your desire for a "bamboo
feature" but also giving your garden a slightly mysterious air
because you can't see everything in it at once.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 29-01-2004, 06:22 PM
TheGardener

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Hi John

I have a bamboo feature in my garden which I made and which you might like
to try. There's a picture of it on my website -
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co...engallery.html - it's the third
picture down the page. There's also a couple of older (and not so good!)
pictures of it on my water garden page -
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co...ergarden.html, where I've
describe how I made it.

HTH,
Chrissie
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Old 29-01-2004, 06:22 PM
TheGardener

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Mossies in water feature Teddy Australia 20 18-12-2004 09:14 PM
Mossies in water feature Teddy Australia 19 05-12-2004 01:09 AM
Water feature gary linley Gardening 5 29-03-2003 04:56 AM
Water Feature gary linley Gardening 3 18-03-2003 10:32 AM
water feature manil United Kingdom 5 26-01-2003 11:37 AM