Old 29-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Shiva

Default Complimentary Roses

Due to last year's bareroot rose massacre, I will be
planning a new side bed this winter. There are a few
roses there, but all are subject to being uprooted as it
pleases me.

The bed is long and fairly narrow, but with room for
a walkway and double rows of roses on each side. The walk
will be flagstone.

I'd like some ideas on roses that grow well together.
Good colors, the right height together, etc. Against the
fence on the end there is a New Dawn entering its third
year. On the right as you enter the side garden
I have these, growing as climbers on a fence: Penelope,
GoldenCelebration, Paul Neyron, Abraham Darby, Pat Austin,
and Molineux. They tend to grow all mixed up together.

on the left the side garden borders a small hill with a
tall privacy fence at the top, and a tile terrace on the
other side. I had intended to cover the redwood fence with
the miniature Climbing Rainbow's end, but that was before I
killed the Joseph's Coat growing on the hill side of the
fence. I still really like the idea of CRE--what a gorgeous
rose when planted en masse. Thanks in advance for any ideas.