Old 29-01-2004, 06:16 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Shimpaku Itiogawa juniper

In a message dated 1/29/2004 8:39:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I suspect that "Tradition" (sound of fiddle music, please)

may
lie as strongly behind any claim of "betterness" as anything
else -- that and the fact that the 'Shimpaku' has such a

legacy
of hoary collected specimens from the mountains of Japan
behind
it.

Well, actually there is a difference: the Itoigawa, which is

located in the south west of Niigata Prefecture, produced
Junipers with magnificent contortions and unsually compact
foliage. You can see one at my site.

http://members.aol.com/iasnob/crane.html

Gosh, I thought that's what I said :-) part of that 'hoary
collected specimens" bit.

Howsoever, a nursery grown "shimpaku" is just a J. chinensis . .
..

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++