Old 01-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Ricky

Default New to this group

"madgardener" wrote in message

I have a Triostar Stomanthe I am about to plant in an old aquarium because

suspect it would love me more if I gave it a terrarium enviroment. The
leaves are browning at the ends and curling on the smaller under ones.

Stromanthe!! Marantaceae, one of my favorite families. I have dozens of
Calathea spp. plugged in the ground and in pots. We grew a Ctenanthe
"Tricolor" next to the mist bed until it got too big. Your Stromanthe wants
a good organic soil with positive drainage, filtered sunlight, and minimal
fertilization. They, like all in the family, will not tolerate full sun,
drying out or too much heat.
One section of our garden has a 50' Ficus tree that as grown into a huge
canopy of filtered sunlight. I've underplanted it with all sorts of
Calathea, Aglonema, Dieffenbachia, Stromanthe, Anthurium, and on and on.
Several rare palms that won't grow to more than 6' and lots of full shade
crotons.