Old 31-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Ricky

Default New to this group

Hi. My name is Ricky. I live in Boca Raton, Florida (that's zone 10A). I'm a
landscape designer by trade with a BS in Botany and an AS in Landscape
Technology. I build gardens in the 3 counties (Palm Beach, Broward, Dade)
and grow Crotons for sale locally and for use on my jobs. I also take groups
on tours to various botanical gardens in S. Florida (Fairchild, Flamingo,
etc.)

This looks like an interesting group with the usual bunch of nut cases, I'll
fit right in...

Old 31-01-2004, 06:13 PM
madgardener

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:24:37 -0500, "Ricky"
wrote:

Hi. My name is Ricky. I live in Boca Raton, Florida (that's zone 10A). I'm a
landscape designer by trade with a BS in Botany and an AS in Landscape
Technology. I build gardens in the 3 counties (Palm Beach, Broward, Dade)
and grow Crotons for sale locally and for use on my jobs. I also take groups
on tours to various botanical gardens in S. Florida (Fairchild, Flamingo,
etc.)

This looks like an interesting group with the usual bunch of nut cases, I'll
fit right in...

welcome to wreck.gardens, Ricky. Please tell me you aren't married or
having a relationship with a Lucy.........gbseg anyway couldn't
resist, a sincere welcome to the group. Don't let the bendejos' deter
you from good garden smoozing.................
madgardener zone 7 in Eastern Tennessee
Old 31-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

Hi. My name is Ricky. I live in Boca Raton, Florida (that's zone 10A). I'm a
landscape designer by trade with a BS in Botany and an AS in Landscape
Technology. I build gardens in the 3 counties (Palm Beach, Broward, Dade)
and grow Crotons for sale locally and for use on my jobs. I also take groups
on tours to various botanical gardens in S. Florida (Fairchild, Flamingo,
etc.)

I visited Fairchild pre-Andrew. Lovely place. Amazing to see
'houseplants' outdoors and the size of trees in the Miami area. Such
an interesting place to wander around. I think I still have a
postcard. Nice to remember when it's 21F with a brisk N breeze and
old snow frozen over like an ice rink...
Old 31-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Ricky

"madgardener" wrote in message

welcome to wreck.gardens, Ricky. Please tell me you aren't married or
having a relationship with a Lucy.........gbseg anyway couldn't
resist, a sincere welcome to the group. Don't let the bendejos' deter
you from good garden smoozing.................
madgardener zone 7 in Eastern Tennessee

Married, same babe, 25 years. She loves the garden but knows enough to keep
her hands in her pockets (or mine).

Old 31-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Ricky

"Frogleg" wrote in message

I visited Fairchild pre-Andrew. Lovely place. Amazing to see
'houseplants' outdoors and the size of trees in the Miami area. Such
an interesting place to wander around. I think I still have a
postcard. Nice to remember when it's 21F with a brisk N breeze and
old snow frozen over like an ice rink...

Actually Fairchild didn't lose that much to Andrew. Most of the extreme
winds were about 2 miles south of it. I've been going to Fairchild for
around 30 years. One of the best collections of plant material in the world.

Old 31-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Frank Logullo

Welcome. Make sure to send '04 dues to Paghat
Frank

Old 31-01-2004, 11:13 PM
David Hill

".......Welcome. Make sure to send '04 dues to Paghat ...."

I thought it was to send $1.00 to all on the list and add your name to the
bottom....

That's why I'm still broke.....

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 31-01-2004, 11:32 PM
madgardener

way too go!! me and Squire have managed to get to the 26th year ourselves.
Our last go round for both of us I suspect g He doesn't garden, me and
the fairies do most of it, and he enjoys it when he's drinking coffee in the
mornings or if I drag him outside to look at something. GBSEG He used to
help with some things but not as inclined lately as we have a slope you need
a short leg and long leg to walk level on for a side and lower yard. So I do
most all of it, as I can. It's hilarious. Not like the flat lands where you
are.................and hands in yer pockets is a good place for them to be,
if yer playing pocket pool......EG
I have a Triostar Stomanthe I am about to plant in an old aquarium because I
suspect it would love me more if I gave it a terrarium enviroment. The
leaves are browning at the ends and curling on the smaller under ones.

look forward to deluging you with tropical houseplant questions............
madgardener who has her share of them inside until Spring when they all move
OUTSIDE on the porches.....................

Old 31-01-2004, 11:33 PM
madgardener

that reminds me, I owe Paggers my '04 dues g madgardener

Old 01-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Ricky

"madgardener" wrote in message

I have a Triostar Stomanthe I am about to plant in an old aquarium because

suspect it would love me more if I gave it a terrarium enviroment. The
leaves are browning at the ends and curling on the smaller under ones.

Stromanthe!! Marantaceae, one of my favorite families. I have dozens of
Calathea spp. plugged in the ground and in pots. We grew a Ctenanthe
"Tricolor" next to the mist bed until it got too big. Your Stromanthe wants
a good organic soil with positive drainage, filtered sunlight, and minimal
fertilization. They, like all in the family, will not tolerate full sun,
drying out or too much heat.
One section of our garden has a 50' Ficus tree that as grown into a huge
canopy of filtered sunlight. I've underplanted it with all sorts of
Calathea, Aglonema, Dieffenbachia, Stromanthe, Anthurium, and on and on.
Several rare palms that won't grow to more than 6' and lots of full shade
crotons.

Old 01-02-2004, 04:02 AM
madgardener

so it is as I suspect. Glad you gave me the heads up about it's likes and
dislikes. Going to fix up the aquarium tomorrow after work with some rich
humus soil and pea gravel on the bottom. Good to know that they don't like
too much heat or drying out. Direct sun fits too. Makes me think of hosta's
and astilbe that like a shady spot. Grew too big LOL not here honey. This
is eastern Tennessee. If I can just get it to be happy in the aquarium once
it's planted I'll be happy. It attracted me with it's colors. And as many
croton's as we carry at Lowe's in the greenhouse, I don't dare grow them. I
love the textures but I know better. If I can get the Triostar to live for
me will be an endeavor. Thanks for the heads up Ricky!
madgardener, up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 01-02-2004, 09:48 PM
Salty Thumb

"Ricky" wrote in
:

"madgardener" wrote in message

welcome to wreck.gardens, Ricky. Please tell me you aren't married
or having a relationship with a Lucy.........gbseg anyway couldn't
resist, a sincere welcome to the group. Don't let the bendejos' deter
you from good garden smoozing.................
madgardener zone 7 in Eastern Tennessee

Married, same babe, 25 years. She loves the garden but knows enough to
keep her hands in her pockets (or mine).

hmm ...

Ricky: LUCIEEEEEE, I'm home!
Lucy: shriek WHO THE HELL ARE YOU!??!!
Old 02-02-2004, 04:32 PM
NAearthMOM

Beautiful website!

If I ever get my dream home on SAnibel/Captiva you're hired!

Love Caryn

heading to Ocala in 1 week
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"