Old 01-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Jim Lewis

Default Mosses

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:28:58 -0500, "James"

wrote:

I would like to take a semi-shady spot in my garden and plant

mosses. Anyone
have any idea where I might begin to learn more than I do

about them? Has
anyone had any experience with such an arrangement? Any info

welcome.

Mosses like acidic shady moist soil. I have a hard time

controlling
moss and usually use lime to keep it in check. I haven't tried

it,
but I've read a few articles that describe blending moss with
buttermilk in equal amounts and using this mix to paint rocks,

logs,
and concrete garden statues.

Some moses grow on limestone, too. Rather than _buying_ a moss
that may not do in your area, you will do better to take a walk
in the woods, or along a drainage ditch, or seepage area, and
scrape up bits of what grows in your area and climate. Try to
give it a home that as nearly alike to where you collected it as
possible.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.