Old 31-01-2004, 04:34 PM
James

Default Mosses

I would like to take a semi-shady spot in my garden and plant mosses. Anyone
have any idea where I might begin to learn more than I do about them? Has
anyone had any experience with such an arrangement? Any info welcome.

Old 31-01-2004, 06:32 PM
David J Bockman

A reader friendly book is 'Moss Gardening: Including Lichens, Liverworts,
and Other Miniatures' by George Schenk.

Dave

Old 01-02-2004, 02:36 AM
Phisherman

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:28:58 -0500, "James" wrote:

I would like to take a semi-shady spot in my garden and plant mosses. Anyone
have any idea where I might begin to learn more than I do about them? Has
anyone had any experience with such an arrangement? Any info welcome.

Mosses like acidic shady moist soil. I have a hard time controlling
moss and usually use lime to keep it in check. I haven't tried it,
but I've read a few articles that describe blending moss with
buttermilk in equal amounts and using this mix to paint rocks, logs,
and concrete garden statues.

Old 01-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Jim Lewis

wrote:

I would like to take a semi-shady spot in my garden and plant

mosses. Anyone
have any idea where I might begin to learn more than I do

about them? Has
anyone had any experience with such an arrangement? Any info

welcome.

Mosses like acidic shady moist soil. I have a hard time

controlling
moss and usually use lime to keep it in check. I haven't tried

it,
but I've read a few articles that describe blending moss with
buttermilk in equal amounts and using this mix to paint rocks,

logs,
and concrete garden statues.

Some moses grow on limestone, too. Rather than _buying_ a moss
that may not do in your area, you will do better to take a walk
in the woods, or along a drainage ditch, or seepage area, and
scrape up bits of what grows in your area and climate. Try to
give it a home that as nearly alike to where you collected it as
possible.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Old 01-02-2004, 02:41 PM
David J Bockman

*Most* mosses like acidic, moist, shady soil, however there are also mosses
that thrive in sunny, more alkaline conditions (the Bryums, for example).

Dave

Old 02-02-2004, 02:32 AM
Michelle

This may sound lame but my son recently tried to grow a garden last
year he wanted no help so I gave him a corner of the flower garden and
let him do as he pleased so first he found some rocks he liked that
were sparkely he said and he planted stuf I was sure would never grow
like a peach pit and a cherry pit and some other things I am not sure
of well needless to say nothing grew except moss I am not sure what
he did but I think it was due to orange juice
He knew that I compost and he decided to water with o j well I
thought he was going to grow mold in my garden when I caught him and
I made him stop it is a shady area and it has these sparkely rocks
and the damn nicest moss I've ever seen a pretty green carpet of it
that is light green and multi toned and lovely thick fuzzy covering
over the rocks and parts of the whiteish rocks show through and off
set it he even found a log in the woods that has some fungi on it and
the moss is growing on it too It looks really nice and my neighbor
commented on it and when I told her david did it she thought that was
so great he liked to garden.
now he has this cute turtle in his garden too and he is pleased as
punch.
Any one know if the O.J.
helped the moss get started?
there was never moss there before
michelle

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 14:18:19 GMT, "David J Bockman"
wrote:

*Most* mosses like acidic, moist, shady soil, however there are also mosses
that thrive in sunny, more alkaline conditions (the Bryums, for example).

Dave

.. .

Old 02-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Pen

Never heard of OJ but have heard of yogurt. Both seems as likely to
be effective. I wonder what I'd get with diet shakes?

Old 06-02-2004, 06:12 AM
Ricky

try http://www.mossacres.com