Old 01-02-2004, 03:06 PM
David J Bockman

Default Mosses

*Most* mosses like acidic, moist, shady soil, however there are also mosses
that thrive in sunny, more alkaline conditions (the Bryums, for example).

Dave

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:28:58 -0500, "James" wrote:

I would like to take a semi-shady spot in my garden and plant mosses.

Anyone
have any idea where I might begin to learn more than I do about them? Has
anyone had any experience with such an arrangement? Any info welcome.

Mosses like acidic shady moist soil. I have a hard time controlling
moss and usually use lime to keep it in check. I haven't tried it,
but I've read a few articles that describe blending moss with
buttermilk in equal amounts and using this mix to paint rocks, logs,
and concrete garden statues.