Old 04-02-2004, 03:39 AM
Frank H. Kirchner

Default Anticipating problems

Hi guys-

I am very happily converting a large share of my orchid collection to
semi-hydroponics. The plants are happy. I am happy. So, as I lust for
the warmth of summer, I started worrying. I have one hell of a lot of
standing water in my pots now and started worrying about mosquitoes. The
concern is a bit more than worrying about a pest as the West Nile Virus is
increasingly prevalent here in Virginia. Will regular watering and flushing
being adequate to remove mosquito larva? Will a couple of drops of bleach
damage orchids? What thoughts do you growers have about controlling
mosquitoes in your greenhouse/collection?

Will summer come soon? I'm desparate!

Thanks all.

Frank