Old 04-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Mogweed

Default Help - I think I've got string algae!

Cheers Kathy, you're a wonderful woman - don't let anyone tell you any
different )

Mogweed.

"Ka30P" wrote in message

There are many types of algae.
The single free floating cells make
your water look like pea soup.
String algae is long flowing strands, like
strands of string.
Substrate algae is the stuff that coats
the surfaces like a fuzzy green sweater.

All algae grows because of nutrients in the
water - nutrients for algae are sun, new water, fish waste, fertilized run

off,
rotting plants, blown in dirt. You don't have fish waste or rotting plants

but
you do have 'new' water, sun and maybe some runoff from rain?

Substrate algae isn't a bad thing (except for your pump and that's a

seperate
issue). Substrate algae keeps pea soup algae at bay and the dreaded string
algae. It provides food for fish during times when fish should not be fed
(water temps under 55F.).

Once spring gets here you can add as many plants as you can stuff in and

the
plants will start using up some of the nutrients.

Your lights will have to be wiped off.
Your pump probably needs some protection.
Also depends on the actual pump. Some have these fine little screens which

clog
up rapidly.
You can remove that and surround the pump with black vinyl window

screening and
put it in a slotted basket. Takes longer to clog up that way.

kathy :-)