Old 04-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Mogweed

Default Help - I think I've got string algae!

A few weeks ago I posted that my water was going green (UK-based, new pond
with waterfall (running 24/7) but no plants or fish yet until the spring)
and the general concensus was to leave it alone, which I did. Pond size is
about 8ft by 7ft and about 2 1/2 ft deep in the middle, rising to front and
back.

The water itself has now cleared but all the underwater surfaces, and I do
mean all surfaces - the liner, the underwater lights and the pump - are all
covered in a snotty, slimy, green gunk. The underwater lights are 20w
halogens and were fairly bright when we first put them in but now you would
see more light from a candle 10 miles away!

The waterfall had slowed down to about half its normal rate of flow so I
took the pump out to clean it and found it was almost completely gunged up
with this slimy green gunk. Pulling it out of the water was like lifting
your shoe after standing in some chewing gum.

I take it this is whats called "string algae"? Can I do anything or is it a
case of just leaving this alone as well?

Cheers,

Mogweed
--
No trees were cut down or harmed in the sending of this message. A lot of
electrons were, however, severely inconvenienced. Change letters to numbers

Old 04-02-2004, 05:32 PM
Ka30P

There are many types of algae.
The single free floating cells make
your water look like pea soup.
String algae is long flowing strands, like
strands of string.
Substrate algae is the stuff that coats
the surfaces like a fuzzy green sweater.

All algae grows because of nutrients in the
water - nutrients for algae are sun, new water, fish waste, fertilized run off,
rotting plants, blown in dirt. You don't have fish waste or rotting plants but
you do have 'new' water, sun and maybe some runoff from rain?

Substrate algae isn't a bad thing (except for your pump and that's a seperate
issue). Substrate algae keeps pea soup algae at bay and the dreaded string
algae. It provides food for fish during times when fish should not be fed
(water temps under 55F.).

Once spring gets here you can add as many plants as you can stuff in and the
plants will start using up some of the nutrients.

Your lights will have to be wiped off.
Your pump probably needs some protection.
Also depends on the actual pump. Some have these fine little screens which clog
up rapidly.
You can remove that and surround the pump with black vinyl window screening and
put it in a slotted basket. Takes longer to clog up that way.

kathy :-)

Old 04-02-2004, 06:06 PM
Ka30P

Mogweed wrote Cheers Kathy, you're a wonderful woman - don't let anyone tell
you any
different

ah, thanks, ::blush:: :-)

kathy :-)

Old 06-02-2004, 07:47 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

No one has ever told her otherwise that I've known of, and I've known her
quite some time now. ) Course we may have to bring her down a peg or two
after this. just kiddingVBEG

Regarding her comment about surrounding the pump. You can see a picture at
my website on Page 7 of *My Pond Photos*. I don't use the vinyl screening
within as I have a filter on the outside. Do remove any prefilter
material/foam to the inlet of the pump, per K30a, you won't need it with is
set up.

The goo you mentioned, could also been dead or dying algae, especially if
it is loose, easy to sweep away. What's on the bottom can be sucked off
with a shop vac set to vac water. ~ jan (website below sig line)

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a