Old 04-02-2003, 01:06 AM
Ted Byers

Default Dendrobium himezakura sanokku

Himezakura is a Yamamoto hybrid nobile dendrobium, and several of these have
been patented.
All dendrobiums will make keikis, but when one sees many on nobiles it is due
to too much N, or not enough sunlight.
One parent of this grex was Cassiope, made with Oberon, in 1995, which was made
using moniliforme, back in 1890, so this alters the cultural requirements
considerably, making it a nobile type, but not demanding the intense cold and
drying in the fall and winter of the standard nobile.
This is in keeping with Yamamoto's efforts in recent years to develope nobile
types which are smaller and more adaptable to growing conditions.

I went back (because I noticed when I got it home that it had no tag)
and found out that the other one I had bought is also a Yamamoto
hybrid called spring dreams 'Apollon': there were several other
specimens of this there, properly labelled, but in relatively poor
shape. I would assume that this has rather similar requirements to
Himezakura.

Now, when you say that it doesn't demand an intense cold, dry period,
do you mean that its deciduous habit is facultative, and that if I
keep it warm and keep watering at the normal rate it will keep going,
but if I let it experience a cool dry period it will display the
deciduous habit; like the deciduous phals? Or would I end up killing
it if I let it see a cool, dry period.

How do you think it would fair in a south window in southern Ontario?

Cheers,

Ted