Old 05-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Water melons

In article ,
martin writes:
| On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:37:40 -0000, "Mark Allison" nomail@please
| wrote:
|
| I fancy growing something a bit different this year, and fancy growing some
| watermelons. Will these grow outside OK in this country? If not, I have some
| space in the greenhouse - would they grow well in there? I live in
| Bedfordshire, UK.
|
| Are there any good online sources of information for growing these?
|
| google "watermellons"
|
| Anything else turns up references to St. Mellons.

What's wrong with "watermelons"?

Anyway, the executive summary is that this country is too cold to
grow them effectively. You MAY just about succeed, but they need
more heat and light than even honeydew melons, which themselves
are very tricky here. They might just succeed under glass if
started early, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.