Old 05-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Mark Allison

Default Water melons

Hi,

I fancy growing something a bit different this year, and fancy growing some
watermelons. Will these grow outside OK in this country? If not, I have some
space in the greenhouse - would they grow well in there? I live in
Bedfordshire, UK.

Are there any good online sources of information for growing these?

Thanks,
Mark.

Old 05-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
martin writes:
| On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:37:40 -0000, "Mark Allison" nomail@please
| wrote:
|
| I fancy growing something a bit different this year, and fancy growing some
| watermelons. Will these grow outside OK in this country? If not, I have some
| space in the greenhouse - would they grow well in there? I live in
| Bedfordshire, UK.
|
| Are there any good online sources of information for growing these?
|
| google "watermellons"
|
| Anything else turns up references to St. Mellons.

What's wrong with "watermelons"?

Anyway, the executive summary is that this country is too cold to
grow them effectively. You MAY just about succeed, but they need
more heat and light than even honeydew melons, which themselves
are very tricky here. They might just succeed under glass if
started early, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Nick Wagg

Mark Allison wrote:

I fancy growing something a bit different this year, and fancy
growing some watermelons...

Watermelons are very good at concentrating heavy metals in their
flesh, particularly cadmium. Another piece of useless information.

--
Nick Wagg

Old 05-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Nick Maclaren

Old 05-02-2004, 06:47 PM
martin

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:06:14 +0000, Nick Wagg
wrote:

Mark Allison wrote:

I fancy growing something a bit different this year, and fancy
growing some watermelons...

Watermelons are very good at concentrating heavy metals in their
flesh, particularly cadmium. Another piece of useless information.

Certain middle eastern countries inject sewage into them to make them
grow.
--
Martin

Old 05-02-2004, 06:48 PM
BAC

"Mark Allison" nomail@please wrote in message
Hi,

I fancy growing something a bit different this year, and fancy growing

some
watermelons. Will these grow outside OK in this country? If not, I have

some
space in the greenhouse - would they grow well in there? I live in
Bedfordshire, UK.

Don't know about water melons, but I had some limited success growing
smaller varieties (can't remember the names, unfortunately) under unheated
frames back in the 70s/80s, in a more northerly location than Bedfordhire.
As it is supposed to be warmer now, it should be easier :-)

Are there any good online sources of information for growing these?

Seed merchants offering melon seeds (including water melons suitable for
rearing in polytunnels in the UK) are http://www.vidaverde.co.uk/melons.html
and they should be able to advise you, I think.

Old 06-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mark Allison" nomail@please wrote in message
Hi,

I fancy growing something a bit different this year, and fancy growing

some
watermelons. Will these grow outside OK in this country? If not, I have

some
space in the greenhouse - would they grow well in there? I live in
Bedfordshire, UK.

I tried and failed in Woking, in Surrey.

Are there any good online sources of information for growing these?

A friend and I once climbed a very dry mountain in South Africa, carrying a
watermelon and a honeydew melon in lieu of drinking water. We ate them both
at the top (Not at one sitting!) at a level of about 5000 feet. We crudely
planted about a dozen pips of each. When we went bach the next year, we
were rewarded with a plethora of watermelons and melons.

Franz

Old 06-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

Hi,

I fancy growing something a bit different this year, and fancy growing

some
watermelons. Will these grow outside OK in this country? If not, I have

some
space in the greenhouse - would they grow well in there? I live in
Bedfordshire, UK.

Are there any good online sources of information for growing these?

google "watermellons"

Anything else turns up references to St. Mellons.

You might have better luck with "watermelons". Google does not always fing
your spelling mistakes.
{:-((

Franz

Old 06-02-2004, 06:58 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

I fancy growing something a bit different this year, and fancy growing some
watermelons. Will these grow outside OK in this country? If not, I have some
space in the greenhouse - would they grow well in there? I live in
Bedfordshire, UK.

Watermelons work in climates with long, hot growing seasons. "Space"
in a greenhouse may not be suffiicient for either the trailing vines
or the spreading root structure. YMMV.

Are there any good online sources of information for growing these?

Search on

"watermelon cultivation"