Old 05-02-2004, 06:48 PM
BAC

Default Water melons

"Mark Allison" nomail@please wrote in message
Hi,

I fancy growing something a bit different this year, and fancy growing

some
watermelons. Will these grow outside OK in this country? If not, I have

some
space in the greenhouse - would they grow well in there? I live in
Bedfordshire, UK.

Don't know about water melons, but I had some limited success growing
smaller varieties (can't remember the names, unfortunately) under unheated
frames back in the 70s/80s, in a more northerly location than Bedfordhire.
As it is supposed to be warmer now, it should be easier :-)

Are there any good online sources of information for growing these?

Seed merchants offering melon seeds (including water melons suitable for
rearing in polytunnels in the UK) are http://www.vidaverde.co.uk/melons.html
and they should be able to advise you, I think.