Old 05-02-2004, 07:13 PM
paghat

Default I have a new windowsill!!!!!

In article , Dwight Sipler
wrote:

Allview wrote:

... I have 2 south facing windows side by side...
... Any suggestions?

In a kitchen: basil. Doesn't do as well there as it does outdoors in
summer, but it will work.

What a good choice, nice odor but by no means overwhelming, & can take
quick clips for all sorts of cookery, no single herb is as perfect for so
many dishes. Flowers no great shakes, but there are a couple of
variegated-leaf & purple-leafed varieites. The most tasty do tend to be
the deep greens though. There are many other things it would be great to
have close to hand for cookery, but the query noted a fondness for things
that flower & for African violets, & unless it's a BIG sill, might not be
room for all things; if only one herb were included, basil would have to
be the one.

-paghat

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"