Old 04-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Allview

Default I have a new windowsill!!!!!

My kitchen is almost done. What used to be a mostly brown kitchen is now a
mostly white kitchen. And I had the presence of mind to ask the contractor for
a windowsill. I have 2 south facing windows side by side. There is a shallow
roofed porch outside so they don't get direct sunlight but the room makes good
use of all the light they get. Now I'm looking for plants. I would like
something that blooms but I also like ferns. I have no luck with African
violets. Any suggestions?

Marilyn in Ohio
Old 04-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Dwight Sipler

Allview wrote:

... I have 2 south facing windows side by side...
... Any suggestions?

In a kitchen: basil. Doesn't do as well there as it does outdoors in
summer, but it will work.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:42 PM
WiGard

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 12:34:14 +0000, Allview wrote:

My kitchen is almost done. What used to be a mostly brown kitchen is now
a mostly white kitchen. And I had the presence of mind to ask the
contractor for a windowsill. I have 2 south facing windows side by side.
There is a shallow roofed porch outside so they don't get direct sunlight
but the room makes good use of all the light they get. Now I'm looking
for plants. I would like something that blooms but I also like ferns. I
have no luck with African violets. Any suggestions?

Marilyn in Ohio

A kitchen without a few herb plants just doesn't seem like a kitchen.
I've had good luck growing basil and parsley indoors. Chives, too.
Rosemary is a bit tricky, but some make it survive. Some English friends
actually have a small Laurel nobilis growing.

Old 04-02-2004, 02:45 PM
Ricky

"Allview" wrote in message
My kitchen is almost done. What used to be a mostly brown kitchen is now

mostly white kitchen. And I had the presence of mind to ask the

contractor for
a windowsill. I have 2 south facing windows side by side. There is a

shallow
roofed porch outside so they don't get direct sunlight but the room makes

good
use of all the light they get. Now I'm looking for plants. I would like
something that blooms but I also like ferns. I have no luck with African
violets. Any suggestions?

Marilyn in Ohio

If it's deep enough try some Thai hybrid crotons. Most of them are being
grown for "table top". You aren't going to find these in Ohio, however I
have several great sources in South Florida if you get down here. These
crotons will have magnificent colors all year long. They don't drop leaves
and they don't have messy flowers. Your window sills will look like
rainbows.

Old 05-02-2004, 07:04 PM
paghat

In article ,
(Allview) wrote:

My kitchen is almost done. What used to be a mostly brown kitchen is now a
mostly white kitchen. And I had the presence of mind to ask the

contractor for
a windowsill. I have 2 south facing windows side by side. There is a shallow
roofed porch outside so they don't get direct sunlight but the room makes good
use of all the light they get. Now I'm looking for plants. I would like
something that blooms but I also like ferns. I have no luck with African
violets. Any suggestions?

Marilyn in Ohio

The most exciting stuff I ever grew indoors were coleuses, an eight-foot
wide window packed with big ones & little ones, bright purple ones &
lemon-yellow ones, stripy ones & cloudy ones, leaf-starts on the front
ledge furthest from light. Any that got rangy over time, clipped them
back, they grew back in a trice, all the clipped bits could be started as
gifts if there was room for so many little starts. The perpetually
colorful leaves make them eternally colorful, like they ware all-bloom
tip to base. I used to sing a song to them every morning as I opened the
curtains & the curtains made the leaves wobble about, the lyrics were very
simple, "Dancing plants! La lalalalalala! Dancing plants!"

If you're good with ferns you'll be great with coleuses which are easier
than ferns, though in low-humidity indoor settings they need daily misting
(your kitchen location helps because kitchen usually gets a couple steamy
doses a day from cooking & dishwashing & making tea & coffee). I used to
live in a steam-heated apartment when I had the colleus collection so they
thrived even if a little neglected, but in usual low-humidity homes they
need the attention similar to ferns, though not a tenth as much attention
as African violets (which in any case wouldn't belong in a window, most
African violets are rather deep shade plants).

For wondrous blooms I'd attempt hybrid pocketbook flowers, though I've
never grown indoor types & don't know if they can be sustained over time
with any ease or not, but zowy are they attractive at the houseplant
store.

Nowadays nearly all my houseplants are rugged succulents. Until I bought a
house & left the steam-heated environment, I had no idea how much that
extra shot of humidity was responsible for my alleged green thumb with
coleuses. I do not fuss about houseplants daily & have a tendency to
forget to water for a couple weeks at a stretch, which to the succulents
is a plus, but I'm to forgetful to have indoor ferns & coleuses these
days, & sometimes plan out in my mind enclosed self-misting vivarium
environment in the window where I can have coleuses again without having
to tend to them lots. But I've definitely found odd sorts of care-free
succulents are nice too.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 05-02-2004, 07:04 PM
paghat

In article , Dwight Sipler
wrote:

Allview wrote:

... I have 2 south facing windows side by side...
... Any suggestions?

In a kitchen: basil. Doesn't do as well there as it does outdoors in
summer, but it will work.

What a good choice, nice odor but by no means overwhelming, & can take
quick clips for all sorts of cookery, no single herb is as perfect for so
many dishes. Flowers no great shakes, but there are a couple of
variegated-leaf & purple-leafed varieites. The most tasty do tend to be
the deep greens though. There are many other things it would be great to
have close to hand for cookery, but the query noted a fondness for things
that flower & for African violets, & unless it's a BIG sill, might not be
room for all things; if only one herb were included, basil would have to
be the one.

-paghat

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 05-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Allview

These are great ideas. I hadn't thought of herbs but basil, parsley, and
chives are ones I definitely would use in cooking. I like crotons too. The
coleus would definitely remind me when it is time to water. I have had them
indoors before and plant them outdoors every year. Thanks.

Marilyn

Old 09-02-2004, 02:02 AM
Zemedelec

How about achimenes? They like the same habitat as African violets but are a
little more exotic looking.
zemedelec
Old 09-02-2004, 02:15 AM
Zemedelec

Old 09-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Allview

How about achimenes? They like the same habitat as African violets but are a
little more exotic looking.

This is a new one on me. Is there a more common name?

I did get 2 primroses at Krogers. Just had to get something on that
windowsill.

Marilyn