Old 06-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] hornbeam

I want to wire my hornbeam, but i dont have any experience, beside this
gained from reading "Bonsai" by Harry Tomlinson.

I have two hornbeams. One I bought almost 10 years ago at the Philly
Flower show and I imagine it looked then like yours (bought at a flower
shop) looks now: a small bushy thing with a thin trunk. I haven't done
ANY wiring on it- I've been thickening the trunk and styling the branches.
Mine is a Korean hornbeam, and it bud backs with enthusiasm; if I need a
branch somewhere, it is happy to supply me with a bud. So I may need to
do minor wiring in the next few years, but nothing extensive. It is
beginning to look like a nice little bonsai. The other is a whopping
stump I dug up a few years ago, and I'm working on creating a new apex and
new ramification and I'm not wiring *it*, either, until I see what it's
going to do.

So my advice to a beginner is not to rush things: learn the behavior of
your tree. Some things need to be wired immediately and other things
don't.

Final question: please tell me this tree isn't inside your house.
Hornbeam is most definitely an outdoor tree.

-Nina,

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++