Old 23-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Steve Wolfinger

Default [IBC] hornbeam

I picked up a japanese hornbeam at the philadelphia flower show a little
while ago. it had four branches and a very long leader.. all full of buds.
i trimmed back the lower branches to a few pairs of buds and left the
leader alone. It is now pushing lots of new growth... but few of the buds
on the leader have opened. hornbeams... like most deciduous are apically
dominant right? all the strong growth on this one appears lateral and low.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Jim Lewis

I picked up a japanese hornbeam at the philadelphia flower show
a little
while ago. it had four branches and a very long leader.. all

full of buds.
i trimmed back the lower branches to a few pairs of buds and

left the
leader alone. It is now pushing lots of new growth... but few

of the buds
on the leader have opened. hornbeams... like most deciduous are

apically
dominant right? all the strong growth on this one appears

lateral and low.

Hornbeams are VERY dominant, epically. However, it seems that it
would be a bit early for a hornbeam to be doing much in your
area -- some of mine down here are just now coming out. They
generally seem to leaf out from the bottom up.

Yours may have been forced for the show, and since you've moved
it to somewhere else, perhaps a cooler area, it may be slowing
down???????

It can happen, however, that a top simply doesn't grow. Keep an
eye on the buds; they'll be the first sign that something is
wrong. Do you know if this tree had been repotted? Excessive
root work -- as in moving the tree from ground to pot -- could
affect the upper part of the tree.

Still, I'd guess things will pop in time.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Nina Shishkoff

I want to wire my hornbeam, but i dont have any experience, beside this
gained from reading "Bonsai" by Harry Tomlinson.

I have two hornbeams. One I bought almost 10 years ago at the Philly
Flower show and I imagine it looked then like yours (bought at a flower
shop) looks now: a small bushy thing with a thin trunk. I haven't done
ANY wiring on it- I've been thickening the trunk and styling the branches.
Mine is a Korean hornbeam, and it bud backs with enthusiasm; if I need a
branch somewhere, it is happy to supply me with a bud. So I may need to
do minor wiring in the next few years, but nothing extensive. It is
beginning to look like a nice little bonsai. The other is a whopping
stump I dug up a few years ago, and I'm working on creating a new apex and
new ramification and I'm not wiring *it*, either, until I see what it's
going to do.

So my advice to a beginner is not to rush things: learn the behavior of
your tree. Some things need to be wired immediately and other things
don't.

Final question: please tell me this tree isn't inside your house.
Hornbeam is most definitely an outdoor tree.

-Nina,

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 06-02-2004, 07:12 PM
kevin bailey

Nina's advice is good. If you want to practice wiring and styling a very
young Hornbeam is as good a place as any to start. An older tree is very
difficult to wire as the wood is extremely difficult to bend - hence the
name Ironwood that is used in some places. If you get the trunk shaped
while it is young and then grow it on for a few years, you will
eventually get a much better shaped specimen than any of the dead
straight plants that generally tend to grow in nature.

The aluminium wire has to be the correct thickness for the branch/trunk
that you want to bend, so I can't advise on its suitability. You should
be able to compare it to wire from web based bonsai shops. Also take a
look at the range of trees on our gallery to get a good idea of how to
wire hornbeam.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Old 01-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Steven Wachs

I have several Hornbean. Japanese and Korean Hornbean. they respond quickly
to wiring and pruning I do my pruning in the spring generally, i get my wire
from ebay.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++