Old 06-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Water melons

"Mark Allison" nomail@please wrote in message
Hi,

I fancy growing something a bit different this year, and fancy growing

some
watermelons. Will these grow outside OK in this country? If not, I have

some
space in the greenhouse - would they grow well in there? I live in
Bedfordshire, UK.

I tried and failed in Woking, in Surrey.

Are there any good online sources of information for growing these?

A friend and I once climbed a very dry mountain in South Africa, carrying a
watermelon and a honeydew melon in lieu of drinking water. We ate them both
at the top (Not at one sitting!) at a level of about 5000 feet. We crudely
planted about a dozen pips of each. When we went bach the next year, we
were rewarded with a plethora of watermelons and melons.

Franz