Old 06-02-2004, 07:12 PM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] hornbeam

Nina's advice is good. If you want to practice wiring and styling a very
young Hornbeam is as good a place as any to start. An older tree is very
difficult to wire as the wood is extremely difficult to bend - hence the
name Ironwood that is used in some places. If you get the trunk shaped
while it is young and then grow it on for a few years, you will
eventually get a much better shaped specimen than any of the dead
straight plants that generally tend to grow in nature.

The aluminium wire has to be the correct thickness for the branch/trunk
that you want to bend, so I can't advise on its suitability. You should
be able to compare it to wire from web based bonsai shops. Also take a
look at the range of trees on our gallery to get a good idea of how to
wire hornbeam.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales