Old 06-02-2004, 10:53 PM
John Savage

Default Broken branch on nectarine tree - will they ripen?

Richard Sherratt writes:
This year we got a bumper crop of
nectarines, so many that one of the new-growth branches has broken
with a green stick type break. The nectarines are sort of thinking
about ripening. The ones exposed to the sun are red on top but green
underneath. Someone suggested cutting the branch off and putting it
somewhere where the birds can't get to it.

Nope. And I have no idea what "bagging" of a tree is.

Are the leaves on the broken limb wilting? If so, then I'd forget
salvaging any of the fruit. It is surprising just how much bark on a limb
can be torn and have the tree still doggedly soldier on. If the leaves are
still healthy, then I'd thin off as many of the fruit on the broken part
as you can bring yourself to pull off, keep the tree watered (but not
overwatered), and hope for the best. Leave the limb sagging just as it is,
but support it in the region of the break in such a way that storms and
swaying in the breeze will not tear any further the bark at the break.

You could try stewing some of the lost fruit, with sugar. They might be
mature enough for that.