Old 25-01-2004, 06:12 AM
Richard Sherratt

Default Broken branch on nectarine tree - will they ripen?

We pruned our ~50 year old (guesstimate) tree the winter before last.
The thing had been neglected and badly treated for about 10 years
before we bought the house, so it was a last-ditch attempt at rescue
before deciding to get rid of it. This year we got a bumper crop of
nectarines, so many that one of the new-growth branches has broken
with a green stick type break. The nectarines are sort of thinking
about ripening. The ones exposed to the sun are red on top but green
underneath. Someone suggested cutting the branch off and putting it
somewhere where the birds can't get to it. Someone else suggested
bagging some of the branches if not the whole tree. Is it worth trying
to save the broken branch load of nectarines? What sort of bag? Where
do you get them? This is Camberwell, Melbourne.

--
Regards.
Richard.
Old 25-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Andrew G

"Richard Sherratt" wrote in
message ...
We pruned our ~50 year old (guesstimate) tree the winter before last.
The thing had been neglected and badly treated for about 10 years
before we bought the house, so it was a last-ditch attempt at rescue
before deciding to get rid of it. This year we got a bumper crop of
nectarines, so many that one of the new-growth branches has broken
with a green stick type break. The nectarines are sort of thinking
about ripening. The ones exposed to the sun are red on top but green
underneath. Someone suggested cutting the branch off and putting it
somewhere where the birds can't get to it.

Cutting it off will guarantee the branch will die, whereas if you keep it
attached, and wrap it with something that can breath like old stockings or
similar. Add something for a splint too. It may just be enough to let them
ripen, then cut of the branch after.

Someone else suggested
bagging some of the branches if not the whole tree. Is it worth trying
to save the broken branch load of nectarines? What sort of bag? Where
do you get them? This is Camberwell, Melbourne.

Can't help you on that one sorry :-)

--
Regards.
Richard.

Old 25-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Terry Collins

Richard Sherratt wrote:

We pruned our ~50 year old (guesstimate) tree the winter before last.
The thing had been neglected and badly treated for about 10 years
before we bought the house, so it was a last-ditch attempt at rescue
before deciding to get rid of it. This year we got a bumper crop of
nectarines, so many that one of the new-growth branches has broken
with a green stick type break. The nectarines are sort of thinking
about ripening. The ones exposed to the sun are red on top but green
underneath.

Standard stuff so far!

Someone suggested cutting the branch off and putting it
somewhere where the birds can't get to it.

Why. You might as well chuck it all away.

The usual trick is to prop the branch back up in the same position. On
the farm, they would use a forked stick or two. With luck, the branch
will re-knit and continue for years.

Next year, you will know to do this early. You could also knock a few of
the flowers off to lighten the load. Wait and see how the fruit goes
this year.

Someone else suggested
bagging some of the branches if not the whole tree. Is it worth trying
to save the broken branch load of nectarines? What sort of bag? Where
do you get them? This is Camberwell, Melbourne.

Are the birds a problem?
Mesh Onion bags, or buy a complete tree net (no idea either)
Old 26-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Richard Sherratt

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:05:46 +1100, "Andrew G"
wrote:

Cutting it off will guarantee the branch will die, whereas if you keep it
attached, and wrap it with something that can breath like old stockings or
similar. Add something for a splint too. It may just be enough to let them
ripen, then cut of the branch after.

Thanks. It was the owner of the local fruit and veggie shop who
suggested it :-)

--
Regards.
Richard.

Old 26-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Richard Sherratt

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:58:16 +1100, Terry Collins
wrote:

Richard Sherratt wrote:

snip

Someone suggested cutting the branch off and putting it
somewhere where the birds can't get to it.

Why. You might as well chuck it all away.

See previous reply.

The usual trick is to prop the branch back up in the same position. On
the farm, they would use a forked stick or two. With luck, the branch
will re-knit and continue for years.

Next year, you will know to do this early. You could also knock a few of
the flowers off to lighten the load. Wait and see how the fruit goes
this year.

Good. I don't know why I didn't ask here earlier.

snip

Are the birds a problem?

Yes. Mynahs. They got half the crop last time we had fruit.

--
Regards.
Richard.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:53 PM
John Savage

Richard Sherratt writes:
This year we got a bumper crop of
nectarines, so many that one of the new-growth branches has broken
with a green stick type break. The nectarines are sort of thinking
about ripening. The ones exposed to the sun are red on top but green
underneath. Someone suggested cutting the branch off and putting it
somewhere where the birds can't get to it.

Nope. And I have no idea what "bagging" of a tree is.

Are the leaves on the broken limb wilting? If so, then I'd forget
salvaging any of the fruit. It is surprising just how much bark on a limb
can be torn and have the tree still doggedly soldier on. If the leaves are
still healthy, then I'd thin off as many of the fruit on the broken part
as you can bring yourself to pull off, keep the tree watered (but not
overwatered), and hope for the best. Leave the limb sagging just as it is,
but support it in the region of the break in such a way that storms and
swaying in the breeze will not tear any further the bark at the break.

You could try stewing some of the lost fruit, with sugar. They might be
mature enough for that.

Old 08-02-2004, 07:06 PM
Richard Sherratt

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 22:42:28 GMT, John Savage
wrote:

Richard Sherratt writes:
This year we got a bumper crop of
nectarines, so many that one of the new-growth branches has broken
with a green stick type break. The nectarines are sort of thinking
about ripening. The ones exposed to the sun are red on top but green
underneath. Someone suggested cutting the branch off and putting it
somewhere where the birds can't get to it.

Nope. And I have no idea what "bagging" of a tree is.

enclosing the tree in a huge net bag to keep the birds off.

Are the leaves on the broken limb wilting? If so, then I'd forget
salvaging any of the fruit. It is surprising just how much bark on a limb
can be torn and have the tree still doggedly soldier on. If the leaves are
still healthy, then I'd thin off as many of the fruit on the broken part
as you can bring yourself to pull off, keep the tree watered (but not
overwatered), and hope for the best. Leave the limb sagging just as it is,
but support it in the region of the break in such a way that storms and
swaying in the breeze will not tear any further the bark at the break.

Thanks for that. The leaves are still healthy and the fruit ripened
OK.

You could try stewing some of the lost fruit, with sugar. They might be
mature enough for that.

Good idea.

--
Regards.
Richard.

Old 08-02-2004, 07:26 PM
Richard Sherratt

wrote:

Richard Sherratt writes:
[...]

Broken branch on apple tree mmmkay777 Edible Gardening 1 29-07-2011 02:10 PM
How do I repair broken branch on Oak tree? [email protected] Gardening 9 05-06-2009 05:13 PM
Large Maple Branch Broken Joe Gardening 1 07-06-2006 03:27 PM
Broken Branch bandd98 United Kingdom 2 07-08-2005 10:57 PM
center branch broken Ablang Gardening 1 04-09-2004 06:27 AM