Old 04-02-2003, 03:24 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Indoor Lighting-System

Geir Harris Hedemark wrote:

"Gene Schurg" writes:

Aesthetics are a tough challenge for most light systems. After all plant
lights don't lend themselves for mood lighting.

True, but most light fixtures have a switch. It would be nice if
Someone(tm) could make a 240V 400w MH fixture which looked nice when
it was switched off. I am perfectly happy to run the lights during the
day when I am not at home.

Most 400w fixtures are ugly, IMHO.

Geir

I don't know about that... Hydrofarm's MH lights aren't hideous.
If you like white boxes. If you don't like white boxes, you could
hide it in a drop ceiling. I'd make sure that there was plenty of
clearance at the top of the fixture, and on the sides, but you should be
able to put ceiling tile right up next to the bottom/light side of the
fixture (or maybe leave a 1/4" reveal). Might want to invest in the
optional fan/venting kit for the light, to reduce heat buildup. Or, if
it is in a plant stand of some sort, box in the height of the fixture
with some sort of attractive lumber, leaving the top open. Center mount
fixture in box (leaving good clearance!!). You could add some of that
4x2' ceiling light grid (egg-crate?) to the bottom of the box. Does
that make the mental image?
For what it is worth, in my old house I had 400W MH fixtures nestled
right up against my basement ceiling (hence my living room floor). This
cooked some of the oil out of the hardwood and discolored it a bit (live
and learn), so I lowered it an inch and tucked some fiberglass
insulation between the light and the ceiling. Worked fine after that.
Top of fixture will get _hot_, so be careful out there.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit