Old 07-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Larry Dighera

Default Orchid Show in S.California

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:32:46 -0800, profpam wrote in
I agree. Fascination of Orchids is a worthwhile show, probably even
ranking above the Santa Barbara Orchid Festival.

There is no doubt it is larger. The setting is more professional and
grand than the Santa Barbara Fair Grounds. And it's considerably
closer. But I find that each show provides an opportunity to meet new
folks, say hi to old acquaintances, and come home with something
unexpected. Now if I can just resist returning over the weekend ...

Fascination of Orchids is probably the only three floor show in the
country. The reed-stemmed exhibits, the abundance of cymbidiums in
bloom which adorn the first floor displays, and the wonderful Lycastes
were excellent features. Unfortunately, it is so easy to spend beyond
budget with the abundance of eloquent orchids for sale.

Budget? Being accustomed to wholesale prices (~$5/plant), I find the
"sticker shock" (~$25/plant) helps curb my show purchases.

So what did you purchase?