Old 08-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Susan Erickson

Default Solar-Powered Vent Openers?

On 8 Feb 2004 10:14:43 -0800, (Lori
Siegmund) wrote:

Do you think the roof and side vents with the solar-powered openers
along with good circulation fans throughout will be enough? Or, do I
also should install intake shutters and an exhaust fan as my primary
venting and use the roof and side vents as secondary or backup for if
and when I might lose electricity?

Keep in mind I live about two miles from the coast. It rarely gets
above 80 degrees here in the summer. Fog in the AM and PM most days.
Any thoughts?

Lori
Santa Cruz, CA

Not being CA - I can only say that I have a powered exhaust vent
- I rarely use. I have the roof vent open and mist to raise the
humidity (CO is dry). I would suggest you look at options to
keep the critters out of the any of these vents. When my GH was
put up, there were no screens that fit vents with lift arms in
the vent area. Now there are. Get them! One year we had
grasshoppers in. You would not believe the damage they can do to
a full size catt with leaves as tough as leather soles. The
other problem is that it is difficult to find the small ones
until the damage is visible. Also Bees will come in and
pollinate for you. A problem if you wanted a lovely spray for a
show.

Congratulations. I would love to build a new gh.
SuE