Old 07-02-2004, 05:02 AM
Lori Siegmund

Default Solar-Powered Vent Openers?

Hi Everyone,

My Santa Barbara Greenhouse has been ordered! I am now shopping for
accessories and I want to get feedback on solar-powered vent openers.
Brand recommendations, what has been your experience with them (good,
not-so-good), and so forth. Any and all advice welcome! Post to the
group or email me personally.

Cheers,

Lori Siegmund
Santa Cruz, CA
Old 07-02-2004, 10:42 PM
K Barrett

I have no direct experience with the solar vent openers. One of my club
member's husbands (who built her GH) has alterntely said they are great or a
piece of crap.

So where does that leave you? The only thing I know was consistent about
his advice was to be sure that the vent was light enough for the opener to
lift. I guess he had built the vents out of some serious lumber and they
weighed a ton, and the poor little lifter couldn't open the vent and
everything was toast. I guess most lifters operate on expanding wax or some
other temperature sensitive material. I have no idea if most lifters come
with a weight range stated by the manufacturer. Wouldn't SBGHs offer any
advice? Surely they'd know what has worked on their GHs in the past. Its
not like they are a fly by night operation that had only been in business
for 2 weeks.

K Barrett

om...

Old 08-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Wendy

Hi Lori, Congratulations on the new G/H.
I have two of these on the roof windows & the brand name is Bayliss.
I haven't had any trouble with them in 5yrs.
Doesn't Santa Barbara have accessory kits for their greenhouses?
Charley's has all the g/h equipment as well but do a search as
prices vary.
Now the fun begins, fans, misters, coolers, heaters, it's like owning a
boat! *g*
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

:

Old 08-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Ray

I'll concur with Wendy.

Bayliss is the "Cadillac" or solar openers. They seem to be the one company
that really gives a damn about making them properly.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 08-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Lori Siegmund

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Yes, SB Greenhouses does sell
accessories. But I always shop around for options and pricing. I'll
have to ask what brand they carry and then compare to what is
available out there.

Another question related to venting.... the gh model I am getting (15'
x 16') has four roof vents and four side vents. Each vent is 1.5' x 4'
in size and weighs less than 8 lbs. with the polycarbonate, I believe.
I am mounting this gh on a 2' base wall. The max height inside the
gh will be 10.5' since it will be on the base wall. The side walls
will now be 8' instead of 6'.

Do you think the roof and side vents with the solar-powered openers
along with good circulation fans throughout will be enough? Or, do I
also should install intake shutters and an exhaust fan as my primary
venting and use the roof and side vents as secondary or backup for if
and when I might lose electricity?

Keep in mind I live about two miles from the coast. It rarely gets
above 80 degrees here in the summer. Fog in the AM and PM most days.
Any thoughts?

Lori
Santa Cruz, CA