Old 09-02-2004, 11:38 AM
D Russell

Default allotment weddings, now

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Frogleg
writes
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 10:38:36 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:

I had to laugh. And wish the bride and groom well!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...142864,00.html

Laugh? Laugh?! Surely there are 'garden weddings' in the UK. I was
very surprised that this was reckoned a first.

Until very recently, all wedding had to be in a specially licensed
church or registry office (allegedly because of the habit, during the
old days when a woman's property became her husbands, of impoverished
males carting off heiresses and marrying them against their will) - I
even had to get a room specially licensed because our local registry
office was upstairs and inaccessible to my disabled mother.

A few years ago, this was finally changed, and people are welcoming the
chance to get wed in all sorts of places. There have been many garden
weddings, but it wouldn't spring to many people's mind to get married in
a vegetable patch amongst many similar patches all decorated with sheds
constructed of discarded doors and window frames.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Ah but is it still illegal for people in the UK to get married after dark ?
Duncan