Old 07-02-2004, 10:46 AM
jane

Default allotment weddings, now

I had to laugh. And wish the bride and groom well!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...142864,00.html

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 07-02-2004, 11:11 AM
martin

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 10:38:36 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:

I had to laugh. And wish the bride and groom well!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...142864,00.html

but a bit cold for the honeymoon.
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad
Old 07-02-2004, 02:39 PM
Frogleg

(jane) wrote:

I had to laugh. And wish the bride and groom well!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...142864,00.html

Laugh? Laugh?! Surely there are 'garden weddings' in the UK. I was
very surprised that this was reckoned a first. And then to read
"...since the 1994 Marriage Act allowed licences for 'seemly and
dignified premises'". We could certainly do with a little regulation
over here. Underwater weddings in scuba grear, or in mid-air while
parachuting, or in the aisles of WalMart, or at the end of a local
marathon with bride and groom in running gear -- 'bride' added a
square of white netting.

I can't think of a much more "seemly and dignified" venue than a
community garden.

Old 07-02-2004, 02:58 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Frogleg
writes
(jane) wrote:

I had to laugh. And wish the bride and groom well!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...142864,00.html

Laugh? Laugh?! Surely there are 'garden weddings' in the UK. I was
very surprised that this was reckoned a first.

Until very recently, all wedding had to be in a specially licensed
church or registry office (allegedly because of the habit, during the
old days when a woman's property became her husbands, of impoverished
males carting off heiresses and marrying them against their will) - I
even had to get a room specially licensed because our local registry
office was upstairs and inaccessible to my disabled mother.

A few years ago, this was finally changed, and people are welcoming the
chance to get wed in all sorts of places. There have been many garden
weddings, but it wouldn't spring to many people's mind to get married in
a vegetable patch amongst many similar patches all decorated with sheds
constructed of discarded doors and window frames.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 07-02-2004, 03:42 PM
martin

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 14:40:37 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Frogleg
writes
(jane) wrote:

[...]

Isn't it time that Bill and Ben came out of the closet and got married
in the allotment. Weed has been wanting to be a bridesmaid for 40
years.

Old 09-02-2004, 11:38 AM
D Russell

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Frogleg
writes
(jane) wrote:

[...]

Ah but is it still illegal for people in the UK to get married after dark ?
Duncan

Old 09-02-2004, 11:45 AM
D Russell

"Kay Easton" wrote in message