Old 09-02-2004, 11:45 AM
Baine Carruthers

Default southern indica azalea hybrids

Nick

Formosas are relatively common with a couple of colors available. They can
& do freeze every few years if planted in an exposed location. The southern
indicas tolerate more sun than some varieties and so they tend to be plant
in less protected places. They are a good selection for the area and the
flowers well worth the chance. I have several that I planted about 4-5
years ago and they made it through the 1° we had last year without a
noticeable loss of flowers and no foliage damage. You shouldn't be
concerned assuming you live in the triangle area.

--
Baine

"Myrmecodia" wrote in message
om...
The local Lowe's here in Chapel Hill had some cheap azaleas ($8.00 for
a three gallon pot), so I brought one home. It's Rhododendron x
indica 'Formosa.' By googling, I have learned that this is a Southern
Indica hybrid and that it might not be entirely hardy here in the
piedmont. Apparently the buds are only hardy to 20 F. Perhaps that's
why it was so cheap.

So, has anyone grown this particular hybrid in Chapel Hill/Carrboro?
How well does it tolerate our winters, and do the buds survive our
spring frosts?

Nick
--
myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com