Old 09-02-2004, 02:39 AM
Myrmecodia

Default southern indica azalea hybrids

The local Lowe's here in Chapel Hill had some cheap azaleas ($8.00 for
a three gallon pot), so I brought one home. It's Rhododendron x
indica 'Formosa.' By googling, I have learned that this is a Southern
Indica hybrid and that it might not be entirely hardy here in the
piedmont. Apparently the buds are only hardy to 20 F. Perhaps that's
why it was so cheap.

So, has anyone grown this particular hybrid in Chapel Hill/Carrboro?
How well does it tolerate our winters, and do the buds survive our
spring frosts?

Nick
--
myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com
Old 09-02-2004, 11:45 AM
Baine Carruthers

Nick

Formosas are relatively common with a couple of colors available. They can
& do freeze every few years if planted in an exposed location. The southern
indicas tolerate more sun than some varieties and so they tend to be plant
in less protected places. They are a good selection for the area and the
flowers well worth the chance. I have several that I planted about 4-5
years ago and they made it through the 1° we had last year without a
noticeable loss of flowers and no foliage damage. You shouldn't be
concerned assuming you live in the triangle area.

--
Baine

om...

Old 10-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Anne Lurie

I had to google "Southern Indica" myself to figure out which of my azaleas
might be one. (I thought Pink Ruffles was, but it's apparently a
Rutherford, although Red Ruffles is listed as an indica.)

I have a couple George Tabor indicas -- which I got after I took in a lone
flower from an old azalea that must have survived for a while, judging from
the old plant's trunk. It has not frozen over the past 4 years or so.

I have a Formosa, I think, but it hasn't bloomed in the 3 or 4 years since I
planted it.

BTW, in April or so, azaleas seem to show up everywhere One group has a
sale at the State Fairgrounds. Last year, my car just insisted upon pulling
into a lot with a big sign "Azaleas for Sale"! (I think it was on Falls of
Neuse or Wake Forest Road in North Raleigh, where Christmas trees are
sometimes sold. Near St. Raphael's Church, maybe?)

I don't recall exactly what I paid -- but they seemed cheap enough to me
that I bought more -- and bigger -- plants than I had planned to buy!
(The only downside was having to dig more, bigger holes.)

Speaking of azaleas, *this* year I'll definitely try to get some pix of the
two big azaleas next to my house so I can finally ID them. I don't know
what they are except * hardy* -- I have to prune them to keep them at bay
so I can get the mower past them.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 10-02-2004, 11:37 PM
Marcy Hege

The Fairgrounds Plant sale will be April 9-11. Azaleas by the Gardeners of Wake
County; perennials and shrubs by the Raleigh Garden Club; Rhodos and camelias
by 4-H.

Marcy

Ipomoea indica Stokie United Kingdom 0 16-04-2007 06:35 PM
[IBC] Indian Hawthorn (Raphiolepsis Indica) Bart Thomas Bonsai 1 29-04-2005 10:56 AM
Ipomoea indica Pam Moore United Kingdom 3 31-03-2005 10:46 AM
Neem tree (Azadirachta indica) in Sydney? Richard Wright Australia 0 11-12-2003 08:39 PM
Looking for Rotala Indica Strgazr Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 12-07-2003 01:02 AM