Old 04-02-2003, 08:47 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Indoor Lighting-System

Geir Harris Hedemark wrote:

Granted. They are also 120 volt without a "CE" marking, which makes
them less than ideal in Europe.

I see there are people dealing in hydrophonics in the UK as well. That
might be a way to go, with a 3-phase mounting kit from my local
lighting pusher.

Missed the UK connection. If I recall properly, Hydofarm
and Sunlight Supply ballasts are switchable (internally) between several
line voltages (240V included). Perhaps other vendors have a similar
option, you might ask if it isn't immediately apparent. I thought they
were CE listed (although maybe that is just the bulbs, come to think of
it). UL listing isn't sufficient in Europe? *grin* I've seen some neat
reflectors as well, they aren't all white boxes. There is an
interesting parabolic reflector available from at least one vendor
(link:
http://www.sunlightsupply.com/hortic...ectors_h.shtml)

What I really, really want is a smallish 400w MH fixture with an
integrated ballast hanging in chains from my 3-phase track.

I don't think I will get one. Some people seem to think 400w fixtures
are something people use outdoors.

Plenty of Hydroponics shops in the UK. Try them. They know better.
Good place to spend a chunk of change. Not just for pot-heads anymore.
Any indoor orchid grower should have a good relationship with at least
one hydroponic shop. My guy knows me by name.

What would happen to my phal if I placed it under a 400w MH fixture,
by the way? Instant death? The livingroom covered in phal foilage?

You need to calibrate the distance. Right under the lamp, instant
death... Three feet away? Probably about right. But, if you are
worried, you can get smaller MH systems. I have a 100W, two 200W and
two 400W in my grow room right now. With an 800W dual HPS/MH in a box
(I'll get it up eventually in another room). The 100W would be
excellent for a smallish plant table (3x3' for phals, probably). I used
two 200W to illuminate a 4x8' bench in my old house. Come to think of
it, I had two more lights under that bench, I wonder where they are
now... Hmm....

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit