Old 09-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Theo

Default [IBC] Mume air layer was [IBC] Black Pine cutting

Brent Walston wrote:
Hi Brent

Theo

It will probably work, but a few cautions. Clear bottles can heat up if any
direct sunlight hits them.

Right
and the Prunus loves the sun.. so I need to find a compromise !

I recommend you construct some sort of shade
cover such as wrapping it with foil or making a foil or plastic umbrella
for it.

well maybe I could cover the reversed funnel with alu fil or
reflective plastic

The other concern is that I think people remove layers too soon.
Once the layer is cut off, all the water needed by the foliage has to come
from the small new roots. Some people can manage this. In our horrendous
dry heat, I find it better to let layers stay on until about leaf drop.
This eliminates the transpiration problem and makes removal and repotting
much easier.

so you advice to leave the whole thing 12 months and separate teh new
plant from the parent , the following spring
say I will do the air layering next week as theh flowers are over
now..& I will separate the scion in april 2005
thanks for your feed back
Theo

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

--
EU Zone 7 GE (CH)
S.O.S.Bonsai online @ :