Old 09-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Brent Walston

Default [IBC] Mume air layer was [IBC] Black Pine cutting

At 08:15 AM 2/9/04 +0100, Theo wrote:

yes Kitsune's idea is excellent but merging with your suggestion ,it
gave me an idea to something else ... .. as I am already trying it with
a trident maple since last september
As prunus after flowering are not very interesting, I thought to use
the funnel part of plastic bottle , small colas' ones , for air layering.
Will keep it in place with a pierced cork to allow water leaking
and/or fasten to closer branches to keep it stable, the twig will be
strangled just under the screw neck with wire, the part from where
roots should appear will be slightly cut given rooting hormons and
sorrounded with sfagnum and coarse akadama and and will see
throught the plastic if roots will come out
will just have to cut it off as soon as I will see roots has grown

will take very little risk and will keep an eye for watering all the
time
what do you think?
Thanks for your link
best regards
Theo

Theo

It will probably work, but a few cautions. Clear bottles can heat up if any
direct sunlight hits them. I recommend you construct some sort of shade
cover such as wrapping it with foil or making a foil or plastic umbrella
for it. The other concern is that I think people remove layers too soon.
Once the layer is cut off, all the water needed by the foliage has to come
from the small new roots. Some people can manage this. In our horrendous
dry heat, I find it better to let layers stay on until about leaf drop.
This eliminates the transpiration problem and makes removal and repotting
much easier.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Theo

Brent Walston wrote:
Hi Brent

Theo

It will probably work, but a few cautions. Clear bottles can heat up if any
direct sunlight hits them.

Right
and the Prunus loves the sun.. so I need to find a compromise !

I recommend you construct some sort of shade
cover such as wrapping it with foil or making a foil or plastic umbrella
for it.

well maybe I could cover the reversed funnel with alu fil or
reflective plastic

The other concern is that I think people remove layers too soon.
Once the layer is cut off, all the water needed by the foliage has to come
from the small new roots. Some people can manage this. In our horrendous
dry heat, I find it better to let layers stay on until about leaf drop.
This eliminates the transpiration problem and makes removal and repotting
much easier.

so you advice to leave the whole thing 12 months and separate teh new
plant from the parent , the following spring
say I will do the air layering next week as theh flowers are over
now..& I will separate the scion in april 2005
thanks for your feed back
Theo

--
EU Zone 7 GE (CH)
S.O.S.Bonsai online @ :

Old 10-02-2004, 06:35 AM
Theo

HI Jim

Jim Lewis wrote:

No. Do the layer in early spring and cut it in the fall. For
instance, layer in April, cut in September (or whatever the
appropriate months would be in your area).

Tht's ok,thanks
same seasons as yours :-)
Theo

EU Zone 7 GE (CH)
S.O.S.Bonsai online @ : or ICQ
25 666 169 4
my bonsais:
http://groups.msn.com/BonsaiItalia/ibonsaiditheo.msnw
Membro di : Internet Bonsai Society. I.B.S USA; F.F.B (BE)E.E.B.F (
FR);F.R.J.B(CH)

Cutting new leaves off deciduous trees -- prunus mume, Japanese flowering plum/apricot Just another old guy Bonsai 0 19-04-2009 09:55 PM
[IBC] Prunus cuttings (was: [IBC] Black Pine cutting) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 08-02-2004 02:47 AM
[IBC] Prunus cuttings (was: [IBC] Black Pine cutting) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 08-02-2004 02:45 AM
[IBC] Air Layer Question Jim S Bonsai 2 27-06-2003 08:20 PM
[IBC] Size Limit For Air Layer Jim S Bonsai 1 24-05-2003 08:08 PM