Old 10-02-2004, 09:04 PM
mike

Default Indiginous South American Onions?

Hi everyone,

Can you guys help me with a question about onions in all its forms (garlics,
leeks, ramsons, chives, etc,) as a foodstuff? From what I can ascertain,
onions and oniony type things occur on just about every continent, at
various altitudes and latitudes but I can't find any types outside of
cultivation in S. America.

I'm interested as to whether pre-Columbian, Central and S.American peoples
used alliums and their like in their diet - I know they did in the Northern
states (Ramps, etc).

Presumably indigenous allium species do exist in S.America (or do they?)
but I just don't know where I might find out. Do you guys know of any info
on South American edible wild onion species or where I might find out?

Many thanks,

Mike

---