Old 10-02-2004, 11:12 PM
James

Default Transplant purple leaf Prunus cerasifera

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message ...
"Ricky" wrote in message
"Moshe" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for your quick reply. My problem is the transfer is

done and at
this point the tree is still dorment, no leavs no flowers. So

my
question, should I prune the tree now? I heard that becuase

of the
much smaller root base for the tree because of the transfer,

we should
make the branches area smaller too so that they can be

supported?

OK. Prune it now and pull off all the leaves as well. This will

put all the
energy into making new roots. Good luck!

I will respectfully disagree. The old school said to cut off a
proportionate amount of top as you cut off the bottom. Our
county extension forester says it is preferred these days to not
cut the top back. The leaves, in fact, provide the nutrients
that the tree needs to grow the strong root system. By cutting
the top, you are forcing the tree to use stored energy to create
roots -- which weakens the tree. It is very important, though,
that the tree be carefully staked so that even a light wind won't
topple it.

The only pruning that needs to be done is remedial shaping --
crossed branches, etc.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

I think any of the advice given will help your plant. Tammy