Old 04-02-2003, 11:33 PM
WNeptune

Default Dendrobium himezakura sanokku

Now, when you say that it doesn't demand an intense cold, dry period,
do you mean that its deciduous habit is facultative, and that if I
keep it warm and keep watering at the normal rate it will keep going,
but if I let it experience a cool dry period it will display the
deciduous habit; like the deciduous phals? Or would I end up killing
it if I let it see a cool, dry period.

How do you think it would fair in a south window in southern Ontario?

Cheers,

Ted

These are deciduous plants and will lose their leaves regardless of how you
grow them.
Flowering is probably initiated by the drop in temperature.
Flowering occurs on two year old growth, which is after maturity, and
frequently will rebloom the third year.
Yamamoto will grow these to maturity and obtain flowers on one year old
growth-but, this is done by growing at sea level in Hawaii to maturity and then
transporting to the mountains for a drop in temperature and getting flowers on
the first year's growth. This does not occur in nature and you will not be able
to do it in Canada. You can easily check this on Yamamoto imports as the
flowers are on current years growth.
You will do better if you put the plants outdoors in full sun for spring,
summer, and fall, and then bring inside to that south facing window with
SUNSHINE for winter.