Old 12-02-2004, 04:42 AM
Anonymous

Default Compost in winter

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:55:17 +0000, shazzbat wrote:

As I understand it, the objection to citrus peel is not that it won't
compost, but that the pesticides used on it create a problem later, or
affect your degree of organicness. At least that's the feeling in Europe, I
don't know about US.

I have to admit I've added it on occasion and no problems that I know of.

Steve

You can neutralize DDT and PCB's in the compost cycle. Almost anything
else, too. (the weirder the 'ingredients', the longer the cycle ... as
much as 3+ years.)

In the quest for "organic-ness" I think it's important to realize that it
is unrealistic to expect the level of chemicals in the finished produce to
be below the ambient levels.