Old 25-01-2004, 11:32 AM
BRS

Default Compost in winter

Hi,

Can I start composting kitchen scraps even though the temps are really
low? Even if the scraps won't begin to decompose for a while (it's
been below freezing for a while), is there any harm? Will things
break down on their own once the thaw comes?

Thanks,
Brennan

Old 25-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Willondon

BRS wrote:
[...]
Can I start composting kitchen scraps even though the temps are really
low? Even if the scraps won't begin to decompose for a while (it's
been below freezing for a while), is there any harm? Will things
break down on their own once the thaw comes? [...]

I never had any problem doing that. I don't compost meat or egg shells,
but do compost plants, coffee grounds and lint. No smell, and as you
suspect, it composts very slowly or not at all until the spring comes and
then it's business as usual.

--
Willondon
Old 27-01-2004, 07:32 AM
Tallgrass

Frogleg wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:29:03 GMT, BRS wrote:

Can I start composting kitchen scraps even though the temps are really
low? Even if the scraps won't begin to decompose for a while (it's
been below freezing for a while), is there any harm? Will things
break down on their own once the thaw comes?

Yep. Nope. Yep.

and keeping the compost in a black container, in full sun, will hasten
the freeze-thaw cycle, as well as raise temperatures within the
container. I have multiple tires in the ravines around here that I
plan to use as composters, as soon as I can safely get them up out of
the ravines.

Linda H.
Old 27-01-2004, 09:04 PM
shazzbat

SNIP
The freeze-thaw cycle is really what does it. I laugh at people who
think orange peels can not be composted. A few cycles and they are set
to go. Winter kitchen scraps are usually fully composted by May in
Michigan.

As I understand it, the objection to citrus peel is not that it won't
compost, but that the pesticides used on it create a problem later, or
affect your degree of organicness. At least that's the feeling in Europe, I
don't know about US.

I have to admit I've added it on occasion and no problems that I know of.

Steve

Old 12-02-2004, 04:42 AM
Anonymous

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:55:17 +0000, shazzbat wrote:

As I understand it, the objection to citrus peel is not that it won't
compost, but that the pesticides used on it create a problem later, or
affect your degree of organicness. At least that's the feeling in Europe, I
don't know about US.

I have to admit I've added it on occasion and no problems that I know of.

Steve

You can neutralize DDT and PCB's in the compost cycle. Almost anything
else, too. (the weirder the 'ingredients', the longer the cycle ... as
much as 3+ years.)

In the quest for "organic-ness" I think it's important to realize that it
is unrealistic to expect the level of chemicals in the finished produce to
be below the ambient levels.