Old 14-02-2004, 07:34 AM
Anonymous

Default TIme to plant? (Michigan)

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 05:28:53 -0600, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Anonymous said:

I'll be trying out starting my own seeds indoors this year. I can usually
plant outdoors about the last frost date (raised beds / sheltered location
and so on) so when should the 'maters go in the potting soil?

I don't start mine until April. Start them any sooner and they just get too
tall and lanky -- despite my high intensity light -- and threaten to get root
bound (in the biggest pots I can manage to use and still fit all my plants
under the lights).

I prefer tall & lanky.

I plant all but the top growing tip in a post-hole
and then cover with cloches made from plastic one gallon jugs. This gives
me a great root system that leads to a very rapid recovery. In about 3
weeks, the top growth is as tall as if planted normally, but the root
system is much deeper than it would have been because the stem will form
roots all along its length.

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)