Old 14-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default TIme to plant? (Michigan)

Ray Drouillard said:

Have you ever considered making a portable hoop house? I think we
Michiganders can add a month or two to the growing season by putting in
a small hoop house in early spring, removing it when it gets warm, and
putting it back up when nights get cold again.

Unless you are around to open it on some of those exceptionally early hot
days (or can rig it to open automatically) you are going to bake stuff in there.
That's what happened with my wall-o-water experiment a number of years ago.

Most springs we have some *really* dramatic weather turns. My daughter (spring
baby) was born on the day of an ice storm. One week later it was 80 degrees.
And a couple of weeks after that, it snowed!

(attributed to Don Marti)